Albany Maritime Ministry is an ecumenical group of volunteers who offer a warm welcome to seafarers that dock in the Capital District of upstate New York. Their hub is located at the Seafarer Center in the Port of Albany.
Most of the seafarers they meet have been at sea for weeks or months. They face numerous challenges, such as isolation, separation from family, hard labor and sometimes human rights violations. They attempt to offer relief and support by:
- Welcoming them on their ships.
- Addressing their spiritual, family and material needs.
- Offering special programs such as Christmas-at-Sea.
- Advocating for their rights.
- Collaborating with agencies worldwide